Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's in a name?

I've been thinking a lot about the weight of names. I've wondered how much weight they really do carry. We don't choose our names, well most of us, but we do choose how we use them. When I meet people I feel I am equal with, I introduce myself as Jaco. I usually use Jaco for other people my age, friends I am introduced to, of course this blog and my company. However, I introduce myself as Jacqueline when I meet superiors, elders, and well, to be honest, people who I think would understand Jacqueline better than Jaco. (Sometimes people think Jaco is my given name and sometimes I get tired of explaining.)

Sometimes I wonder if it really matters that much. I like Jacqueline better, but I've been called Jaco for years and years. I feel like it is my fun side, my goofy personality and that Jacqueline is my older side, my put together side. The more I think about it the more I think it's just a name, that I am who I am no matter what I call myself. I am still myself, nothing less and nothing more.

Do you feel like names have weight? or are they simply a title?
Love and Turtledoves,
Jaco

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! My name is Katy, but I have always gone by Kate...but over the past few years for some reason I have been given the nickname Frankie..and I absolutely love it. I feel like its my crazy side..Frankie, then my 'put together' side like you said with Katy. But I always feel so guilty because I think "this is the name my parents have given me, so start liking it!" hehe. Love your blog!! x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!